Thread: Teacher gifts
View Single Post
Old 09-15-2012, 07:31 AM
Gabrielle's Mimi

As a teacher, I just had to write. THANK YOU to all out there who appreciate teachers! I worked so hard to meet each child's needs and to make each year a great year filled with learning experiences! I paid for so many classroom supplies and all the crafts projects we did. I bought tons of books for the classroom library. Most all the teachers I know did the same things. That's why it hurt a bit to see one person write, "why do we have to buy teachers gifts?" The answer is "you don't" but why would you not want to thank and support the person who spends all day helping, teaching and caring for your child? Plus, don't you want to teach your child to be kind and thoughtful? BTW, I've taught in 4 states and never made anywhere remotely near what the writer from Long Island said!

For gifts I loved gift certificates to book stores, movies or restaurants. I never wanted my families to spend a lot of money, so having families do a group gift works well. Yes, the Kleenex and paper and crayons are very much appreciated, but they are not personal. My most treasured gifts however, we're the personal notes from kids and parents. Those meant the world to me.

I would definitely avoid coffee mugs, ornaments and baked goods. Also, if the school had a fundraiser selling candles or candy or gift wrap, please avoid these items....we teachers already bought a ton of it when the kids were selling it! Since all of us here are quilters, place mats and table runners are great, as are seasonal (non religious) wall hangings for the classroom. Another great idea for those who are clever would be a quilted hanging to go outside the classroom door saying the teacher's name (skip the room number and grade since they may change over the years).

Sorry to be so long, but I just want to thank all parents and grandparents out there who volunteer, write kind notes, buy classroom supplies, go on field trips, or send in gifts. Your support means the world to your child's teacher!

TanyaL;5513557]A comment under another thread made me wonder about the best teacher gifts in today's world. She mentioned she had to buy many of the supplies for her classroom out of her personal money. I am thinking that cash or a gift card would be better appreciated than a home made item. What do you think?[/QUOTE]