Thread: Teacher gifts
View Single Post
Old 09-15-2012, 03:14 PM
sosewcrazy

Many thanks to those of you who value teachers and want to give us something, We really don't expect anything but we appreciate all parents do to make our job esier.

I also don't make anywhere near a 6-figure salary. I teach in a state that is ranked between 48th and 49th in the nation in teacher pay. My husband just retired from teaching this year and is substituting. We both love what we do, although it gets more difficult every year. Kids just aren't the same as they were when we started, and teachers aren't valued like they once were.

As for your question, I think a gift certificate would be very much appreciated. The public doesn't realize just how much teachers spend out of their own pockets. So far, since August, I have spent over $300 school supplies for those children who were unable to bring in any, as well as simple decorations for the classroom and a few books for implementing new content standards. And we didn't ask for much-our list for my grade level included pencils, notebook paper, a spiral notebook, a composition book, and some kind of binder to keep their papers and materials organized. I'm always surprised, and disappointed, at the number of parents who could afford to purchase these supplies, but choose not to because "the school" can buy them.

But what I've valued the most over the years are the kind notes from both parents, students, and administrators. I've held on to every one of them, and when I've had a bad day, I often pull them out and read a few to remind me of why I walk into that classroom every day.