View Single Post
Old 01-31-2008, 11:09 PM
Tiffany

I have fabrics that were passed down from my mother-in-law's mother, who dabbled in quilting but didn't have any formal training or another person to sharpen her skills off of. These fabrics are still quite sturdy and I would consider using them in a quilt today. Actually, I'm planning to put them together to make heirloom quilts for each of my daughters. I think as long as the fabric is in good condition it should still be usable. I know when I make most of my quilts I make them with the intention of them lasting 100 years or more, with decent care of course.

Cotton fabric, because it is a natural fiber, needs to breathe. Never store your fabric in plastic (bags or tubs) with no air flow. It begins to break down the fabrics, which is counter productive to owning a fabric stash. ;) Also, if you live in an area where silver fish or other bugs may be a problem, never store your fabric with any sizing or starch in it. Bugs love to eat it and it's never a good moment when you begin to go through your fabric stash and discover holes eaten throughout. :shock: Let's see, what other tips do I know about storing fabric. You're supposed to occasionally go in and refold the fabric but I confess I rarely do this. If it gets refolded it is because I've used some of it, it's fallen from the pile and needs to be refolded, or it is something I've pulled out to consider for a quilt and need to refold it to put it away again. The thought of going through my stash and refolding everything is a bit daunting. I'd rather just make more quilts and use up the fabric I've got. Can anyone say shopping trip! :lol:
~Tiffany