View Single Post
Old 09-16-2012, 04:01 AM
twinkie
Power Poster

First, I try to picture the finished product in my mind. Second, I pick out a fabric that will compliment the piece or coordinate with it. Then I cut my material twice as large as the opening I am covering. I then start with a circle of fabric and begin stitching (by hand) around the edge of the circle. When I get it 7/8 of the way stitched up, I put my poly fil in it. When it is almost stitched together and before I put the polyfil in it, I gather it into almost a pouch. I stuff it until the pouch is full and then I complete the stitch and pull up tight until the opening that was gathered is about the size of a half dollar. If the polyfil does not want to stay in, I pull my thread across the bottom making a little "net" to secure the polyfil into it. Would love for you to post a picture of your pin cakes. It might give me another idea. Thanks for the kind words.

Originally Posted by IBQLTN View Post
Marvelous! I've been buying up old knick knacks for the same purpose. Started the first one today and can't seem to get the dimensions of the fiberfill quite right. Any words of wisdom?

I'm also making pin 'cakes' out of polar fleece. I think they will turn out nicely.