View Single Post
Old 09-16-2012, 05:35 AM
colleen1978

Smile 50 year old christening outfit

I'm a new grandma! My daughter had a baby boy, Cashton. She asked me to make him a Christening gown out of my mother's (who has passed) wedding gown. My sisters decided they each want "a third" of it...leaving not enough. I could use part of it and add to it but it is from 1957 and was not stored appropriately so it is very yellowed anyway. My brother passed several years ago from the big C too and I have his Christening outfit from 1962. It is a tiny white cotton shirt with blue piping trim and a little hand embroidered stork carrying a baby. It has a little diaper cover too. My daughter asked me to see if I could get it as white as possible and she would like to use it. It was stored in a cardboard box in a cedar chest for 50 years! I know I may not get it totally pure white again. My dilemma...I'm afraid to try anything! I bought some borax as I read somewhere that that would be good. I'm afraid to fade the piping. Please share any advice or experience with me on how to get it as white as possible again! Thanks!!