View Single Post
Old 09-16-2012, 09:07 AM
Greenheron

Originally Posted by grandmahoney View Post
Also one thing that could be done is long sleeve sweet shirts can be cut down the front in the middle then bind the edge and you have a quick top that will keep them warm. Also they wash very well and wear good to. But remember to make them bigger then there normal size because getting into things can be very hard for the elderly. You might also think about using fleece to make the lap blanket and just finish the edge with a pretty stitch. This also would be nice and warm. If I were you I think it would be nice if you could get a group of ladies together in your area to help with this. Could be alot of fun.
When DMIL was the nursing home, their practice was to get everyone out of bed, if it all possible. I asked the CNAs for clothing advice, they are the ones who do the practical care. Since DMIL could not help herself at all, they asked me to convert her clothing to make it open in the back. It was so much easier for the patient and the aides to slip on garments from the front and for ease and durability of washing I got 100% cotton sweats for her and it was easy to slit the backs of tops and pants sides to help with ease of dressing. I don't remember if ties or velcro was preferred--not snaps or buttons because they would be uncomfortable for an immobile person and damaging to their skin. When she passed, her clothing went to other patients in the home.

Last edited by Greenheron; 09-16-2012 at 09:10 AM.