Old 09-16-2012, 10:42 AM
margecam52

My TL18L is basically the same machine....it has a sticker that says Groz-Beckert 134 san 11 size 18 needles. I've also bought size 20 & 21...the 20's are a different brand (Oregon I think, or Orange), I also use a 22 ball point when doing those old doubleknit tops. I've never tried a 16...never use a small enough thread. 40 wt, I like the 18's.

My feeling is to use what works for you. And yep, run my bobbin & top tensions pretty darn loose. I can use from 60 wt to pearl cotton and not have any issues...after making needed tension adjustments.
Marge

Originally Posted by lunagrandquilter View Post
I have purchased the same machine, and waiting for hubby to finish seeding so we can set it up.
From others I understand that when you lay the bobbin in your hand, pull the thread it comes out smoothly
and will just have enough tension to tip the bobbin up on your hand, not lift off. Looser than you would think
it should be. Also a larger needle is a good suggestion, I always used a topstitch needle with a bit larger eye
in my 9inch machine on the frame. The 18.8 takes the Gros Beckert and most use the 16, but some the 18.
Probably depends a lot on the thread being used. Good luck, I'm sure I'll be in the same boat soon - looking for
help.