Thread: Teacher gifts
View Single Post
Old 09-16-2012, 11:41 AM
KyKaren1949

AS a retired teacher, I will add that donating supplies to the classroom or to a local charity in my name was always the most appreciated gift. When I retired, I probably had over 60 mugs given to me. The most frequently given gifts were coffee cups, Christmas ornaments, Bath and Body Works and candy.
I was always so grateful when parents sent in notebook paper and extra pencils for those children whose parents did not or would not buy them supplies. Sometimes parents worked at a business where pencils were given out to customers. One lady always inquired how I was doing with pencils and would send in a box of several hundred when we ran low. I can't tell you how much I appreciated her thoughtfulness. Notebook paper was also a huge gift for us. Extra crayons, checking pens, scissors, paperback dictionaries and an atlas were wonderful. When we had book fairs, so many would donate paperback books to our classroom.
I was soooo very grateful for all these wonderful gifts from my parents and grandparents. I taught in Kentucky and did not make the gigantic salaries they pay in some states.
I was also extremely grateful to the parents and room mothers who would plan our holiday parties and provide refreshments and some form of entertainment. Another big gift is a gift of your time. Some of my parents were faithful about coming in to lead book discussion groups, listen to a child read or help another with multiplication facts. We even had Foster Grandparents who came to our school to help our children. They were blessings to our classrooms. It does take a Village to get the job done!