Thread: Crazy Quilts
View Single Post
Old 03-02-2007, 04:38 AM
june6995

I have read both threads and I am confused. The crazy quilts that I have seen in pictures and in museums, seem to be made of "fancy" fabrics and of course all the old ones were embellised with fine yarn or embroidery thread.

If I were going to make a crazy quilt, I would like to try to duplicate one from about 100 years ago, but not being able to do the handwork, I would want to use some machine stitches.,

Next problem I see, the machine stitches are going to be smaller than the hand embroidery. Thus, I would assume the pieces of fabric used should be in proportion to the size of the stitches. Am I correct in thinking this way?

And finally, would I use left-over scrap from today's quilts, 100% cotton, or do I use velvets, satin, etc? If the latter, how do you collect these fabrics? Would you buy new fabrics in the smallest amount possible, such as 1/4 yard or remnants? And if remnants, how long would it take to collect these pieces?

No, this is the final question, Am I going to live long enough??? to collect and then make this quilt? I love the one seen in BH&G's American Heritage Quilts, printed in 1991. They refer to this style as a Victorian Fancy, from the era of 1876-1900. Now I know they had 100% cotton then, but the other fabrics are so beautiful. Has anyone tried to duplcate this Heirloom quilt???

I have wanted to make one of these as an heirloom quilt but have been intimidated by the amount of different fabrics.