Old 09-16-2012, 01:17 PM
BoJangles

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
I messed with a Singer 503 this morning - it was pretty dirty - inside and out - Skip I have to put an new plug on it - the old cord has some crimps toward the plug... The balance wheel was very stuck on so I pulled the motor thinking I could get in the inside a bit - NOT... but I did accidentally discover it is easier to change out the bobbin tire with the motor out!!! The tire had crumbled all over that end of the machine - tire powder everywhere. Then when I tried to get it off it stuck like glue... I'll still have to test sew after the plug is fixed plus clean and adjust the tension. It always amazes me how well those clean up. I think I prefer the 503 to the 500 because it is so much simpler to use besides it will do the same stitches with the right disks. Oh and I got the balance wheel off... DH wandered into the shop and he was wearing some leather gloves - he was able to get it unstuck... Seems like that is a common problem with that model machine - I think it is the shape of the balance wheel - kinda hard to grip.
Miriam, I am with you. I prefer my 503! That machine just does the cam that is inserted - no fuss no muss - very simple to use!

Nancy