View Single Post
Old 09-16-2012, 02:14 PM
MarLeClair

Default Just When You Think You Have Done It All

Just had to share this. I went to a Fiber Arts Fair on Saturday and thought I was walking into familiar territory. Well, I was completely out of my element. The first thing I saw were Alpacs (beautiful animals and such beautiful eyes). The fair was all about spinning, weaving, and anything else to do with raw fur. I don't even know enough to use the right terms. There was a lot of fiber that needed to be spun into yarn. Lots and lots of yarns, spinning machines, ets. I was in awe. I thought I had dabbled in almost every venue using needle and thread but I was out of my league at this fair. I was shocked as I have lived in this area almost all my life and never heard of this fair that has been going on for 18 years. I don't know anything about the prices but I saw raw wool (which would need to be spun) priced at $26 a pound. Like I said I don't know anything about this craft but it sounds just as pricey as quilting. Oh, another treat was I got a lesson on making bobbin lace. I knew it existed, I saw a sample in a museum but have never seen it done. It looks like fun but I get frustrated easily and need more immediate results but for someone it could be another hobby. If anyone is interested in this time of Fair let me know and I can send you the brochure that was handed out at the gate. It has a lot of businesses and addresses listed.