Thread: Teacher gifts
View Single Post
Old 09-16-2012, 02:41 PM
Sewfine

Originally Posted by kathdavis View Post
Teachers in my area do not make six figures. We also aren't paid overtime like most are in the corporate world either. I could grade papers until midnight at my desk every night and not make a single dime more. By mid-October, my students are out of notebook paper, so I stock up on spiral notebooks by the cases in August because my students will go through them in a school year. The last several years, my students have stopped bringing in tissues, so I have purchased at least $50 in tissues each year. I went through over three grosses (432) of pencils by the 1st of December last year and had to order more. I teach manners, respect, tolerance, appropriate dress, social skills, and vocabulary, along with my core subject, English. Almost monthly, I'm cursed out by students, as well as, parents who aren't doing their job in the first place and wonder why I'm bothering them about their child. And, the government is thinking about basing my salary on their child's test scores.

I still think what I do is important. I don't expect nor receive many gifts from my students, since I teach middle school and it just isn't cool by then to give teachers gifts, plus many of our students don't get much themselves around the holidays. Money is very tight for many of our families and I would much rather my students come to school with their tummies full, than give me gifts. I do love when my students come back to see me several years down the road to tell me they are finishing up high school or doing well in college. That really makes everything I do worth while.

Thank you out there for thinking about us teachers.
I agree wholeheartedly with you. I think all teachers are underpaid. I didn't have to buy all that extra stuff when my children were in school. But with the 13 grandchildrens I do my best to make sure they have everything on their supply list plus more. I have a friend that was a teacher, some parents can't afford to buy everything the child needs for school. If I can pitch in and help buy I do. When the school have their fall carnival I try to make quick and easy stuff to sell and donates the funds to teachers. Wal-mart now have prepaid Visa Cards that can be used anywhere. When a child has everything they need for school they can concentrate better on their school work. Yes, there are some teachers that I have made special gifts just to show appreciation. That's why we buy gifts for the teachers.