View Single Post
Old 09-16-2012, 02:54 PM
Jean in Ohio13452

A lot of The Methodist Churches as well as other Churches in my area make lap Robes every Year... The United Methodist Women often make this a local Mission Project. 36" x 36" is a Good size- enough to tuck in and drape over the legs... Wheel Chair arm Bags that are on the inside of the chair are good as well as bags for Walkers. There is at least 10+ nursing and Rehab facilities near where I live....

http://www.sewingsupport.com/sewing-...lker-bags.html

Don't forget the men: they like the Flannel Shirt plaids, hunting and Fishing Themed or Farm Themed or Old Car or Tractor Themed fabrics... make sure the lap Blankets are sewn all around the Edges about 1 inch in and either Tied or quilted... Remember at these Nursing Homes ( I have worked there) all the laundry is mostly done in HOT water and HOT dryers... so fancy stitches and lace wont' last... basic sturdy stitching is what is needed... Because I know that Aides get in a hurry and just toss every thing in the Barrels to go to laundry... One of my ladies had a beautiful Irish Wool Throw that was about 60 inches wide by 60 inches long and even though it was labeled DO NOT WASH it got sent to laundry and it came back about 30 inches x30 inches and was hard and scratchy... A sign was posted on the Ladies Closet for the Throw NOT To go to Laundry... so Sad... Another good idea is to put a Pocket on the lap robe so they can tuck a tissue or a book or snack and it won't fall off the lap that way...
Many local businesses and factories adopt the residents in nursing Homes during the holidays... the ones on State Aid got new winter coats, socks, slippers or shoes, shirts and sweatpants ( these are easy to get off and on when aides have to change Briefs)

Last edited by Jean in Ohio13452; 09-16-2012 at 03:00 PM. Reason: Thought of something I wanted to add...