Thread: Teacher gifts
View Single Post
Old 09-16-2012, 04:06 PM
Greenheron

Originally Posted by deneldacoop View Post
Why do we have to buy teachers gifts?
No one HAS to buy anyone a gift. I gift is a gift. For a teacher it is a sign of appreciation. Little gifts are the most appropriate......in the old days a hankie or potholder or pen wipe, or some flowers were the kinds of tokens presented to loved teachers. One year my fourth grader gave his teachers 4 oz jars of jam he and I made with wild strawberries we picked.

There is a divergence of thoughts here: gifts vs. classroom supplies. Gifts are personal, classroom supplies are shared by the children. I cannot tell you how many boxes of facial tissues, for example, I purchased during my teaching career. Our school budget did not extend to such supplies. When our PTO could, they donated $10 per semester to help. Our excess levy failed and pencils, crayons and other supplies dried up. Ask a teacher what is needed.........

As far as gifts go, the well-squeezed handful of daffodils in April, the box of instant cocoa packets to tuck in my desk drawer, the jar of newts or frog spawn for our classroom aquarium, the homemade pencil holder, the little Christmas towel, the gracious help at classroom parties, and the note of appreciation could never be topped by a box store card.

P.S. About all those mugs---my little ones were proud when the mug they gave me became one of the supply cart caddies, just the right size for a box of markers or an assortment of crayons to carry to the table or desk for work or art.

Last edited by Greenheron; 09-16-2012 at 04:10 PM.