View Single Post
Old 10-08-2009, 10:34 AM
n2scraplvr

Originally Posted by oksewglad
A quilter after my own heart!! How cute. What size did you make the beginning squares? I, too, make mini's, and not paper pieced ones. Have you noticed how the fabric design changes when sewn in smaller pieces? The scale of the fabric takes on a new look. I've learned alot about thinking in color values, too.
Thank you, OKSG. Glad you like my mini! I decided to start off with 2-1/2" squares because already had some pairs made up I keep on hand all the time. Keep 4-patches made up too. Didn't pay any attn to color because for once in my life I could not predetermine the outcome of the block arrangement which was a lot of fun in itself as the end result is always a surprise! So the 6" square became the 9 patch; then 3-3/4" became my 4 patch. The mini is 7-3/4" and with inner and outer borders it comes to a perfect 16" square. So the next time I want to focus on the color aspect. In answer to your question, I haven't noticed the new look the fabric takes on as I was focused only on trying out this block. I do lots of minis and don't paper piece them anymore. I found the dryer sheets you use drying clothes makes a wonderful scent on the minis and works great for fdn. piecing. Some brands work better than others. I iron them first. The used ones work the best! You'll have to try this idea out!! A real plus is the see-thru aspect of the sheets! Can't wait to see your posts of your minis!