View Single Post
Old 09-17-2012, 05:41 AM
Jenniky

[ATTACH=CONFIG]363357[/ATTACH]

Following the previous steps I showed after trimming the batting 1/4" less than the top square.
I was ready to attach the blocks to make a row.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]363358[/ATTACH]

I suppose there is a lot of trimming in this process but not a lot of trimming waste.
I am assuming that the reason I would not pre cut my 1/4" in less than my top square
because there is no way to be certain how much the quilting of the square will effect the
the batting size. I hope this makes sense.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]363359[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]363360[/ATTACH]

I gauged where to stop and start my join seams based on the batting.
This was the step I was missing which caused my problem in my first attempt.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]363361[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]363362[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]363363[/ATTACH]

My thinking is that Im sure there are better more precise tutorials on this
method that are just not available freely on the internet or I just did not
happen across them. Also in hindsight I did not think that the out side squares should
not of had the batting trimmed 1/4" less than the top square. Best bet is to trim the batting
as you go and only trim the batting 1/4" less on joining sides of the squares.

This method is do able if your quilt design does not allow for sashing in between the squares.
I personally could not imagine myself wanting to attempt to make a full size quilt using this method.
The sectional quilt as you go method in my opinion would be a better option for quilts with no sashing.

I will demonstrate and attempt to explain the sectional quilt as you go method next. Questions or comments
on the No Sashing QAYG method as I am calling it are welcomed.
Attached Thumbnails a_step.jpg   b_step.jpg   c_step.jpg   d_step.jpg   e_step.jpg  

f_step.jpg   b_monster.jpg