Old 09-17-2012, 08:53 AM
Quilter 65

Originally Posted by bjhumes View Post
I love it! NOW Help me....I bought some material this weekend to do a stack N whack, have book on it but I am scared to cut it. My repeat is probably between 12 to 14 inches as I have NOT measured it yet. The fabric has like water color flowers of orange, gold, tan with black sketch lines...so I felt it would do a pretty shack N whack. Plus
book suggested 3 1/2 yards so I only bought 3 yards. It may only get to be a throw. NEED your advice on cutting it.
Now, remember this is my first attempt at S&W so not sure I am qualified to give anyone advice, but I will tell you that mine took all the fabric I had plus a bit. When I purchased the original amount, I THOUGHT I had enough, but had to order a bit more online. I just took the book and did what it said. I will say I think it is crucial that you get those stacked exactly to match, because if you don't, they won't look right. Ask me how I know that! So before you cut, measure precisely to see that you have six repeats and the FULL repeat. If you shorted the yardage, you might only have a part of the sixth repeat. Then cut the strip. I did use the WOF rather than cut it in the middle, because I am conservative with fabric (some might say cheap) and I didn't want a partial wedge left when I might need every inch and I did need it all. Have you picked the pattern that you want to use? I have seen this one with the sides straightened out and you wouldn't need all those hexes on the side so that could save fabric as well. Good luck. I just jumped in and did this and figured that if it failed, no one would take away my birthday! These are great fun.