View Single Post
Old 09-17-2012, 12:17 PM
kristakz

Originally Posted by havinfun View Post
From reading I also have learned that the fabric should be pre-washed. Any suggestions on that? Will the edges of the material fray when I wash it and if so is there something I should do to avoid this?
I always pre-wash, generally in the harshest environment I think the quilt will be subjected to. So, for example, fabric for a baby quilt gets washed in hot water. I toss in just a little bit of laudry detergent, to help remove any chemical residues.

Yes, they will fray. Being lazy, I just expect to lose about 1/2" of each piece of fabric. And I spend time between washer/dryer untangling and cutting strings. And then again when it comes out of the dryer. Overcasting the edge with a zigzag stitch would help prevent this - but as I said, I'm lazy

Other that than - take it slow and steady. Definitely ask this board for help if you need it. And buy some extra fabric, just in case you need to recut a couple of blocks. I often round up to the next 1/4 or 1/2 yard for this purpose. And post lots of pics so we can cheer you on