Old 10-08-2009, 02:25 PM
MCH

Well, here's a little story, the moral of which is, if you want to make God laugh, tell Him your plans.

When we were young marrieds, my husband was with IBM in Poughkeepsie, NY (midway between NYC and Albany) in the mid-Hudson Valley.

After a while, I learned that IBM had a comparable research and development facility in San Jose, CA. In my parochial mind, Californa = earthquakes and I wanted no part of that! I made it quite clear to my DH that San Jose, CA, was NOT an option for our family. "No way will I live on the San Andreas fault!"

In those days, IBM also meant "I've Been Moved". Being my husband was in the research and development division, it was unlikely that we would ever move to California with IBM. Had he been in sales, that would be a different story.

Fast-forward a few years and IBM moved us -- to suburban Chicago. We were delighted as our young sons would then have the opportunity to spend more time with their grandparents and other family members.

We were "home". For example, even though the boys were still in grade school, it was a given that they would go to the U of I in Urbana, as their parents did. At least one week-end / month we were driving to Central Illinois or someone would visit us. It was great.

In 1978, my DH resigned from IBM and with a colleague, started a software company.

In 1982, they had an offer from a company in CALIFORNIA :( to buy the company.

"Do we have to move to California? It sucks! It has earthquakes! Why do we have to move?" I was not, and was determined to never be, again, a happy camper. I was insufferable. (We won't discuss the parenting model I exhibited to my boys!)

"Because I am the primary developer of the product and they want me there to manage the product."

"Where is this company located...in California?"

"Santa Clara."

"Isn't that close to San Jose...and that IBM facility?"

"Yes"

We moved to a town on the east side of San Francisco Bay. Lovely house, neighborhood, great schools. I have a 2700' tall peak in my front yard. We're about 15 miles from San Jose.

The rest of the story?

God must have heard me and my tantrum. You see, I don't live anywhere near the San Andreas fault. I live smack dab between the Hayward and the Calaveras faults. The Hayward fault is considered to be the most dangerous fault in CA as it is highly urbanized it's entire length. The Calaveras fault is "just over the hill" from my house -- about 5 miles as the crow flies.

But, I don't live on the San Andreas.

I've always had a picture of God in my mind in which he's just smiling. "What are you not going to do now, my child?"

Added blessing: we've re-connected with my Mom's cousin (who is only 8 yrs. older than I)and her family who have lived in San Jose 30+ years It's as if I've gained another sister and 4 nephews and a niece. Her kids and mine have formed a very strong bond over the years.

Oh, and California's not such a bad place to live...if you can afford it (and we're re-visitng that question...)

Didn't want to move here, but God worked it for good.

I don't dare stomp my foot and tell anyone, let alone GOD, where I wouldn't live. No way. No how. :lol: I am teachable!