Old 09-18-2012, 10:34 AM
n2scraplvr

Thanks so much for your nice compliments! I am so glad you are going to give it a try sometime! You know I was surprised at 2 fabrics in my quilt that lit up an area that I never would have thought of, but let me suggest that you place some squares on a design wall, all darks and one light, and test to see how well they do work. Some light fabrics are just plain dull and others really show energy! So before cutting anything, just try assembling some darks and lights together and testing them. It will help you alot!

I can tell you that you have to be careful with colors! Looking at my quilt, you can see the color 'cheddar yellow' almost taking over had I not limited its use! This color needs to be used sparingly or it will change your color theme without you wanting it. Some colors will do that and it depends on what you put together. I noticed every red block in my quilt has a blue next to it. These are warm and cool colors that I just do automatically without thinking about it. However, some people need help in putting their warm and cool colors together and must plan it.

I didn't talk about low-contrast blocks/colors, but I have a few of those and if you like the random look of this quilt, you might want to do the same. This is where the 2 fabrics in the block almost look similar. It gives a nice balance to the quilt as not all things in life are bright and happy, there are some dull moments as well. So these rather dull blocks really look good among the bright, cheerful ones. Well, thank you, Sandy and Polly, for your encouragement. I sure hope you will try it. It's a great looking way to use up scraps! It always turns out so nice!!