View Single Post
Old 09-18-2012, 11:11 AM
ashiecat

I was recently diagnosed in Feb, went to a dietician/nutritionist and I was told I could have 45 carb per meal & 3 - 15 carb snacks for a total of 180 carbs per day. Now, having said that, I was also told to watch my fat intake. My numbers are quite good and even though I have printed out many a 'diabetic' recipe, most seem too high in carbs for the portion you get. So, what I will say is this - you DO NOT NEED a 'Diabetic' Cookbook. You will however, need to convert some of your favorite recipes. First figure out how many carbs are in a portion. Any good diet book or app can do this if you are not using canned/packaged stuff - which already has the info on it. Switch from white rice to brown (or a mixture), use more beans (they are good carbs & take awhile to break down), use sweet instead of white potatoes, use white/wheat bread products that are low in carbs & high in fiber. And use lowfat meats. Use the plate method - 1/4th is your meat (4-5 oz), 1/4th is grains, corn, beans, potatoes and 1/2 is low calorie vegetables. Watch the carbs instead of sugar, since carbs turn into sugar in the body.