Old 09-19-2012, 09:36 AM
carol45

Originally Posted by sewplease View Post
Carol,
I have some questions if you don't mind.

What size grid do you make--about 4x4"? Do you actually pick it all up and place on the ironing board to lightly press? I'm picturing a sticky mess. :-)

Do you glue the fabric or the batting?

Thanks for your help. I'm trying to improve my FMQ so I can actually finish some tops, but I have to get over my "basting phobia." I have a simple top I made just to practice FMQ, and have been wondering if I should run out and pick up basting spray, pin it, or run to Target for some Elmers now. :-)
sewplease, sorry I took so long to respond--my grandkids were visiting from out of town.
I have put the glue on the fabric when I've done this. I've only done relatively small projects--up to lap size. I lie the top face down on my large ironing table, spread a thin grid of glue on the back of it, about 4" x 4" as you suggested, then I lay the batting on, and then make a similar grid, about 2" shifted over so it won't be right on top of the first one, on the back of the backing--I do this on another table. Then I place the backing onto the batting and smooth them all out. I use the iron to get both sides really smooth, and the iron dries the glue as well.
There are some other great descriptions that I've seen on this thread for how to do it on larger quilts.
Also, it's never made a mess for me--just don't use a lot of glue--keep the stream very thin.
Good luck!

Last edited by carol45; 09-19-2012 at 09:51 AM.