Old 09-19-2012, 12:57 PM
miriam
Power Poster

Originally Posted by BoJangles View Post
TwandasMom, I have to say I don't agree with this statement at all. The $100 machines at Walmart are usually the bottom of the line machines. They are not meant to be used except occassionally! If you want a really good machine that won't cause you headaches, that will last forever, spend the $100 to $350 and get a 301 or a FW. Those machine will last forever, and you can service them yourself. If you want decorative stitches then spend $50 to $100 for a really nice vintage machine that does decorative stitches. Or go to a sewing machine shop and invest in a good plastic machine!

Nancy

Nancy
There are MANY MANY good quality vintage machines other than the FW and 301 - those seem to be a status symbol of some sort. Plenty of other machines will be good sturdy last forever machines with out the expense. Some might weight a ton but they won't dance off the table either. You want something cheap and sews very nice try a Spartan or how about a Singer 404 - neither have that much status but good machines. SS only though. How about some of the Kenmore machines - well designed and sew about anything... I think I've posted time and again how to evaluate a used machine... if you can't find those posts here, there should be stuff if you google search how to buy a vintage sewing machine...