Old 09-19-2012, 02:35 PM
amint11

a featherweight isnt a status symbol. atleast to me it isnt. i love the way they look. very similar to my 15-91. i love the shiny black and gold.
and no, the cheapest one from walmart isnt for me. 1. mostly plastic. i like to buy things once and be done. not buy and in 2 years replacing because it is worn out. quality is what i am after.
people and friends and family that know me, know vintage is my thing. i refinish furniture for my house. i redo metal porch gliders. my kitchen...well it could have been in the 50's/60's. my husband even restores old cars and trucks. when the opportunity presents itsself for us to buy another house, it will also be old, and i dont mean 20 years old. its who i am, its what i love. vintage.
my daughter will be using a cheaper machine from walmart or somewhere because she is a beginner. im not going to spend the money on her a vintage machine just for her to realise that sewing isnt something she is really into. me however, it will be used and loved. im not taking the classes for me to "learn to sew", i am taking them with her to give us something to do together and to be there incase she needs help during the class. more than likely when the classes start, i will be the only one with an older machine. at the shop we are taking classes at, is pushing baby locks and other higher end models.
so again, it has nothing to do with a status symbol. and i dont want to buy junk. i asked for other models that were good, i am just more familiar with the featherweights. i received several recommendations on other models and brands, and i am researching.
again, vintage is me. its what i love and what i search for. if i walk into the sewing class with a "new" machine and someone there knows me, im sure i will have some explaining to do. =)