Thread: irons
View Single Post
Old 09-20-2012, 12:00 AM
frannella

I bought the yellow 1800 watt Oliso last month on eBay. Pricey at $150, but I thought well worth it. The heat is even and consistent, the sole plate designed in such a way as to save your fingers from burns, the steam function and water spout the best designed I have ever experienced, and the cord is REALLY long. Before the Oliso, I was an inveterate fan of Rowenta (the Costco models) but I got steam-a-seam all over the sole plate and after cleaning off the goo, I wanted to get a second iron for piecing, reserving the Rowenta for use with applique. I thought the heat and steam from a Rowenta were really great, but the Oliso is so much better. It delivers a different kind of heat and steam and I really like the difference.

But, there's always a 'but' right? Halfway through the construction of a large quilt, the feet periodically stopped retracting when I replaced my hand on the handle, resulting in some major gouges across my blocks. No permanent damage to the blocks, and it is possible to turn off the "foot function" (i.e., take your hand off the handle and the feet automatically jut out and lift the iron off the board about 2 inches, saving you from having to stand the iron up, remove it from your fabric, having the iron topple while standing up, as well as saving your fabric from scorching), but this malfunction is a little unsettling given the cost and the fact that the iron is so new. Best I can figure, the foot function doesn't stand up to a 12-hour day of piecing, as this has only happened after the iron has been on for hours. Next day the foot function seems fine again and I can iron away as the iron was designed and intended. Glad it's under warranty but was alarmed to read about the one-year experience of one member's friend. This thing is way too pricey to be so short-lived.