View Single Post
Old 09-20-2012, 05:52 AM
petpainter

I don't know how many of you use "Sewers Aid" on your thread, it helps to stop fraying and breakage a lot, but a couple weeks ago I had a seminar with Sharon Schaumber, and she said sewers aid was mineral oil, but with something else(my brain on vacation) added. She recomended using PURE CLEAR mineral oil, as it will not hurt your machine and does wonders for your thread. She actually dips the whole spool, but you can just use a pastry brush or something and let it seep in on it's own. I just made a Minister's scarf on satin with dense designs using metallics as well as regular 40 wt rayon, and used the mineral oil...it was awesome! I always had trouble with Madiera shredding until I used it. Of course you must make sure the thread comes off the spool properly. The oil will not stain your fabric and eliminates the fuzzies. Sharon's husband created the bobbin genie, too. That's the teflon disk that goes under the bobbin to eliminate friction from the metal on metal. Coming from an industrial background, they have so much more knowledge than just making and teaching beautiful quilts. What an amazing woman- if you ever have the chance to see Sharon, do it!!!