Old 09-20-2012, 07:41 AM
Happy Treadler

Default How to figure yardage needed for Grandmother's Garden Quilt??

Hi everybody. Coming out of lurkdom to ask a question. I've recently jumped on the band wagon and started planning my first Grandmother's Garden/Mosaic quilt. Found & bought a retired Creative Memories 1 1/2" hexagon punch, started punching a tons of blocks, and I'm gettin' ready to move forward!

I found a really cool quilt that I used in the design of mine here: http://images.search.yahoo.com/searc...quilt+patterns It's the third one in from the top row. Love the stars with the original "bee hive" feel of the alternating blocks. I'd like to use a splash of color within the stars & in the traditional flower blocks, and alternate the design just a bit.

I have been looking everywhere both here on the list as well as Google and cannot find how to figure out how much fabric I will need for this quilt. I was hoping to possibly use coordinated fat quarters, but have no clue with how many I'd need. I'm looking at working up to a full/queen size. In my search results, so many of you are making absolutely GORGEOUS GMG quilts. I am green with envy and I'm dying to get myself organized.

Anybody have any suggestions you can offer? I'd SEW much appreciate any advice.

Trina in crisp & sunny PA