View Single Post
Old 09-20-2012, 05:03 PM
ZugZug

I bought an inexpensive wooden dining table from IKEA ($60 and was 30"x48"). I traced the outline of my machine's base and cut the space out, sanded the edges so they would be smooth. Mounted a shelf underneath the hole. It was attached to the upper with screws and glue (I made sure it would hold an elephant). Then sat my machine down inside the hole. I then took the clear vinyl sheet material you can find at Joann's or Hancocks and covered the entire table with it, cutting out a space for the machine but leaving it so that a portion would cover the area between the machine and the edge of the hole it sat it. Stapled the plastic under the edge of the table. It worked great. the plastic was super slick so material glided over it. I recently gave it to my mother and we were able to just cut the hole a bit bigger and it fits her machine now. Also table legs were wooden and my mother sits very low when sewing so we just cut a couple of inches off the legs so it would be more confortable for her. In retrospect, if she wanted it higher we could have just gotten some 4x4 block legs (Lowe's trim department) and raised it too.