View Single Post
Old 09-21-2012, 12:01 AM
GailG

Originally Posted by carolaug View Post
My husband and I am having our first Grandchild. What do we have them call us?? When I say Grandmother I think old...My Grandmothers were about 54+ when I was born so growing up. I do remember no like saying Grandmother it was so unfriendly as a child. My grandmother on the other side was Meme - I don't seem like a meme either...I am not a nana...thinking Gram. My husband feels the same...so we are searching what to called. My husband said his first name but to me that is not right or respectful. Suggestions...
I think it all depends on the OTHER grandmother and grandfather names used in the family. We called my maternal grandmother Mama which was the same thing our mother and her siblings called her. Our grandfather was Papa. We called my paternal grandmother Mom (also the same as my dad and his siblings called her). This grandfather was Pop. Then when we had children we called my mother Granny. Now my dad was called GONKY. The oldest grandson couldn't say Grumpy as he wanted to be called. So until his death, he was Gonky. When it came to our grandchildren I am called Mimi (pronounced Me-me) and DH is called Toto. (Yes, as in the Wizard of Oz.) My sister's children called her Mama and her grandchildren called her Kat which was her name (for Kathy). BTW, don't let the name grandmother make you feel old. Those grandchildren will add years to your life -- youthful years.