Old 09-21-2012, 01:50 AM
ArchaicArcane

Default Rescued a 201-3(?), found oil in the motor

The good news is, by the color of it, it's probably motor oil.
No wait, that's not good news.

It didn't run much when we went to take a look at it. It would start, then quit a few seconds later. Unplugging it, then plugging it back in seems to start that cycle again.

The DH said he was pretty sure it was an electrical problem (fair assessment based on the look of the wiring) and not to worry about it, I knew I was rewiring anyway. He's long since gone to bed, I'm playing insomniac again.

Opened the motor, found my hands slick in several different spots. Also appear to have found a piece of oil soaked wood, maybe from its original bentwood case, inside the motor. Creative, but I doubt it's helping the performance.

I found unreal amounts of carbon inside, and the loose stuff on the brushes seems wet to me.

I'm sure I read somewhere that oil inside the motor ruins it.
Caution: Dumb question alert....

Ruins forever, or ruins til you do a huge cleanup on it?

If it's salvageable, I'm definitely listening for suggestions, as soon as I wake up tomorrow.
My 4am thoughts are to fully disassemble, douse all parts with electrical contact cleaner til it runs clear, then let it dry, and reassemble to see what happens. Anyone see any pitfalls with that?

I do have a "spare" motor set here, but I'd like to keep it for the 28 that it came with if possible.

In other news, the 201 and the 401 I found at the same time complete my wishlist of Singer machines now. (except for a 222, but I think that's a pipe dream for the moment) Yay!