View Single Post
Old 09-21-2012, 05:16 AM
Geri B

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
Seams in a backing:

It may be that a pieced backing that needs to be lined up 'exactly' with the top might be problematical? Especially if it has to go in 'the not usual' way?

For a backing, I was told to remove the selvages and to use at least a 1/2 inch seam. I don't remember if I was supposed to press the seam open or to the side for the backng.

What about seams that are twisted ? End A goes north - end B goes south?
I will answer this as a L/A....it is fine to piece the back-nice way to get rid of extra fab. It is just easier for the L/A (at least me) if the seams of that back are going to be horizontal when loaded onto the rollers. The stretch factor, altho it is minimal, when rolling up is nil, but when the seams are vertical there is a bit of tightness along that seam as it is being rolled up and we have to be very careful of equalizing the tension across that roller......can be done, but just need to be aware of the difference in tensions of the two pieces (top-backing).

Re: selvedge edges.......The edges should be cut off as when that quilt is eventually washed there will be a pull along the selvedge seam,it is a tighter weave than fabric body..........as an aside.....those selvedge edges make great "tiers" for bundles of fabric, etc.

Yes, I agree, not all quilts I have rec'd have not been perfect...I can't tell you how many seams have broken while I was quilting, had to stop and repair by hand, and/or had seam volcanoes, wavy borders, etc. But, all these things can be worked around or thru...and I must tell myself when I am working on one of these challenges.......the quilter is proud of what she has done and I am being asked to enhance her "best" work. So, I grin and grimace and just roll on.....

I also wholeheartedly agree it is not necessary to certify a longarmer quilter. In my opinion this will just creat a sub-culture of "continuing education" for a fee to longarmer and $$ in the pocket of the "teacher/organization"offering the "classes". If one is doing this as a business she/he is "up" on the latest techniques and if not let's their customer base their limitations.

A very interesting thread.......