View Single Post
Old 09-21-2012, 11:38 PM
miss_ticky2

Default Need help please with thread colour

Hi
I'm making a small quilt for a lady at church (3 quilts actually) and I'm now ready to quilt it. The quilting will be simple with some stitching around some applique and some stitch in the ditch etc..no problems with that.

My problem is the colours for the thread. The backing is a red on red tones check and the front is mostly a variety of blues, some of which are light, and there's also quite a bit of white. I'm using a cotton batting (sorry, not sure what brand) which is quite thin. I've adjust my tension up and down to experiment but even on an even tension if I look closely I can see the white (which I'm using as the top thread) just showing on the back, and I'm sure I can see the red from the bobbin thread in the needle hole on the top.

I'm sure she would be quite happy with it as it's not that bad but, because it's an order, I'm not completely happy with it. My thoughts then turned to an invisible thread (sorry, can't remember what they're call...those like a very fine fishing line). I've not actually done any sewing with that thread...well, I might have about 20 years and I can't remember what I would have used it for back then. Is it suitable for quilting? (I'm sure I've read where others have used it). Would that solve the problem I'm having? Or would I be creating other problems for myself? How difficult would it be to quilt with?

Thanks for any suggestions.