View Single Post
Old 09-22-2012, 08:20 AM
Sewnoma

Originally Posted by leakus View Post
I once was comossioned a quilt, it was a baby quilt and interesting, however the fact that I had to work on it for ours when i didn't really wanted killed me. I realized that I was going to end up not liking quilting if I continued sewing for money. I decided not to do it anymore. Of course it might not be an option if that is a way of income but in my case I work full time, therefore what I do after work must be something I enjoy.
I made the same mistake when I made soap as a hobby. I turned it into a business and pretty soon it went from my favorite hobby to a chore I dreaded. People keep telling me I should sell my quilts...no. Won't do it. I make them as gifts, I give them to charity...maybe some day I'll try raffling them for charity. But it's my creative outlet and trying to commercialize it would ruin it for me.

Maybe it'll be different when I retire, but that's a long way off for me. Fortunately I have a full time job that I enjoy and that pays well enough to cover all my "needs" and most of my "wants" so I can afford to just have quilting as a hobby. I sock away a lot for retirement too, so hopefully I can continue to be a "leisure quilter" even after I retire. I suppose I might try selling some down the road some day, but never a commission. I make what I WANT to make, and if someone feels like paying me for it after the fact, that might be OK.