View Single Post
Old 10-09-2009, 11:33 AM
grammatjr

Not too long ago, someone posted this:
http://www.everythingquilts.com/seas...the-month.aspx

I had seen the BOM, and fell in love with it, but wanted to make it a little differently. Here is my version.

I started with a characture of my mother (she adores this characture and uses it for all her correspondance, etc).

I just cartoon drew her (she really isn't that tall, but didn't realize how far apart I had made her top half and bottom half until it was together - oh well - it's a cartoon!).

I selected several fabrics that I could mix and match, buying more than I needed immediatley.

I had my grandson, use fabric crayons and make the background for the house "quilt" the old lady would be holding. Then we cut the pieces and appliqued them with a satin stitch.

The lady's hands stick out from the quilt, so that snaps which are attached underneath can hold seasonal "quilts".

My goal was to make a "quilt" every other month, with 2 sides. The extra fabric I bought, I am slowly incorporating bits into new "quilts", that way they will all have some matching fabrics.

I have only made 2 additional quilts to this point. They all have binding, but I didn't catch them into my pics.

The heart was for Valentine's Day, but doesn't necessarily say Valentine's Day, so that is the side Mom likes to keep hanging the most. The back of that one is the flowers, which was for Mother's Day, but again didn't exaclty say that. For that "quilt" I tore apart some silk flowers and attached them at centers, then appliqued them into a fabric vase.

Easter is a simple star block, the center of which showcases a scrap of embroidery that her sister had given me ages ago. It was just a testing scrap. I was very fortunate to find easter fabric that the critters are also painting eggs. The back side of that is a simple St Pats derby.

On the back of the old lady quilt, instead of doing a normal backing, I took 2 layers of fabric, folded, and sewn only top, bottom and outside with the folds slightly overlapping each other. Inside this flap that was created, I have more snaps to hang the small quilts when they are not in use.

Thanks for letting me share.

the quilt on the left shows without any additional hangings, on the right is with the heart quilt added, you can see the house quilt peeking out a little
[ATTACH=CONFIG]52282[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-5788.jpe   attachment-52282.jpe