Old 09-22-2012, 06:48 PM
Sewnoma

Unhappy My first "one block wonder", not sure I'm thrilled with it (WIP)

I'm working on my first "stack & whack" style, or "one block wonder". It's destined to be a Christmas gift for my sister.

I thought I'd be clever and avoid repeat problems by using a gorgeous panel as my fabric, but now that I'm looking at it up on the design wall I'm not positive that was a great idea.

Here's the panel I used: http://www.fabric.com/ProductDetail....9-59b368f1a78c

And here's my first go at it on the design wall. I already see a few pieces I need to move around, I'm not done fiddling yet. But this is the general idea of where I'm going with it:

I'm thinking black borders, but it ended up smaller than I'd anticipated so maybe a triple border consisting of 2 strips of black with a coordinating blue (maybe with a subtle Asian print?) sandwiched in between along the sides? (My sister LOVES black so that part is easy.) I don't know...am I being too picky or is there something missing here?

Some of the individual kaliedoscopes are REALLY cool though. I was really excited as I was assembling the hexagons but the overall quilt is (so far) not thrilling me as much as some of the individual blocks did.