View Single Post
Old 09-22-2012, 07:03 PM
Sewnoma

Default Found a new LQS!

I'm excited, the LQS nearest me is really disappointing. Not very welcoming and not a great selection.

But one of my (male!) coworkers told me he noticed a quilt store downtown where he lives - it's only about 20 miles up the freeway from where I live...far enough that I rarely go into that area but not far enough to keep me away!

I went to go check it out today; bought two 1/2 yard precuts of gorgeous turquoise batiks for $6 each and made mental notes of several other luscious fabrics that I must find an excuse to buy. And I actually felt welcome walking into the store, very pleasant couple of ladies working the counter who gave me just the right level of attention to make me feel taken care of but neither hovered over nor ignored.

I also found a spool of variegated purple/lavender Aurifil thread in a discount bin for $6! I asked if they had more and was told that I just missed out, they've stopped carrying it and clearanced out their entire stock of Aurifil for $6 a spool - I got the very last one. DANG!! I would have stocked up! It's $12 a spool at the only other local shop that I know of that carries it. (I know I can buy it online but I prefer to buy it locally where I can really see the colors if I possibly can.)

And, as a bonus, there was a local art show/sale going on in the park right across the street. Got to see a lot of really nice local artwork & photography and listen to live music for free. All in all a very satisfying little shopping trip.