Old 09-23-2012, 05:08 AM
MrsBoats

Originally Posted by ArchaicArcane View Post
My next 3 hurdles with the machine now are:
A spool pin plate, which a little research has told me are as rare as gilded hen's teeth
Light shade
Grease wick. The wick in the motor was very very ruined, so will need to be replaced. I will see if the electrical shop has that when I go in there next week. It will get cleaned up and tuned up in the meantime.
I can't help with the spool pin plate, but the light shade should be relatively easy to come across, and a grease wick is dead simple.

There are two ways to replace it that I know of. 1. Start with a quarter size piece of wool-old wool blanket/coat, wool felt, whatever. Cut the piece in half, which should make a half circle. Roll that into a cone, and screw it in place. (You can do this for the oil wick in the 66 bobbin race, too; just use half a spool pin felt pad.) Alternatively, you can use real wicking, like you get at the craft store or outdoor section of BigBox for lanterns and so forth. Cut it to the correct length and put in place. If you put a drop or two of oil on the wick--no more than that--it will help to get the grease flowing, although the heat from the motor is usually enough.