View Single Post
Old 09-23-2012, 10:03 AM
ckcowl
Power Poster

marymo, why has your felting attempts not worked? what has gone wrong? i've been felting wools for years- and the only ones that did not work were the ones that were either a blend (not 100% wool) or ones that were the (new-washable wools) that have been treated to not shrink-
everything else (especially wool men's jackets, pants, skirts, dresses) felt wonderfully-
i fill my washer with HOT water- i put the tea kettle on the stove & heat more hot water- i use a small amount of detergent & a regular aggitation cycle- on the longest cycle- i keep a watch on it- when it is almost to the point of draining- i shut it off- turn the dial to the beginning of the cycle again & add more hot water- some times i start it over 3 or 4 times-
then i let it spin out (i've never had a permenent crease from spinning in the washer)
then i RINSE IN COLD WATER this is an important step-
then toss into the dryer & dry on hot heat setting.
when the wools come out you can cut them up & use them in any way you want- they will not shrink any further- are washable, durable, and make wonderful appliques, garments, quilts, rugs, bags/purses, what ever you want to make out of wool. i don't know how using a pillow case would work- since the aggitation is an important part of the process- and i've never had any issues with fibers in the washer- we have a septic tank too...i've not ever clogged a drain or caused any problems - and like i said i've been doing it for years 15+ years...