Old 09-23-2012, 07:27 PM
kay carlson

Default Oh happy, happy, happy time teaching my two granddaughters!!

Yesterday, my two granddaughters used one of my sewing machines for the first time. We live a few hundred miles apart, so when DDIL mentioned that she hoped I could teach the girls to sew and would welcome having a machine for them......I was on cloud nine. It was fun to pull things together as a starter kit.

Each child had fun during the lesson and had some things to show for their efforts. We started out with safety and having fun as our themes. Our chatter even included keep your eyes on the road (fabric being sewn), no texting while driving, keep within the speed limit, and turn off the engine before going near the needle. There were lots of giggles, especially when they figured out how many years I had been using a sewing machine (58) and I considered the sewing machine as my personal power tool. Their father has lots of power tools for fishing, carpentry, etc.

My three children had their own comments about the pending sewing experience when we Skyped on Friday evening. Two adult children immediately commented about the time I put the machine needle through my right index nail/finger! Great advice given and accepted...

Having taught sewing to 8 to 14 years olds for a number of years, sewing with the DGDs yesterday was a dream come true. Hopefully, many of you will also experience this joy with your families!

Last edited by kay carlson; 09-23-2012 at 07:31 PM.