View Single Post
Old 03-02-2007, 07:58 AM
Randy

Hi Mellissa:
My friend taught us this easy, easy, fast quilt block. It finishes to a 15 inch block and is quite beautiful in a wall hanging or a quilt. Block layout attached along with a picture of one of the blocks I made yesterday.

You said you are new to quilting so I'll give you a little lesson on making triangles the quick and easy way incase you don't know how.

Your 4 1/2 inch squares in the 3 colors for your block can be put one on top of each other (only 2 sqares at a time) right sides together. Draw a line diagonally (sp) from top left corner to bottom right corner. Now, with 1/4 " seam sew on either side of the drawn diagonal line then cut on your drawn line. Press open and Viola! you have half a white square and half a red square (or whatever colors you are using).

You are making your fabric strips 4 1/2 inches wide by WOF (width of fabric) then cutting these strips into 4 1/2 inch squares. THE ONLY EXCEPTION to this is for the 4 background squares in the corners of the block...these you will cut down from 4 1/2 inches to 4 1/4 inch blocks when you get ready to sew the corners to the 2 middle sections of the block.

Good Luck. This is very, very easy. I made a table runner out of this pattern for a gift for church bible study member yesterday with 3 stars and it took about 2 hours to make the 3 blocks. Today I'll put it all together and quilt it. EASY!

You can change the size of the squares to make whatever size finished block you want.

Randy

Attached Thumbnails attachment-57799.jpe   attachment-58052.jpe