View Single Post
Old 09-24-2012, 11:50 AM
mcwillia

Do you have access to serger thread on cones? I often use serger thread on my Avante when I want the quilting stitches to not stand out. Embroidery thread comes on cones and works up nicely for quilting designs. As for the tension, each variety of thread and sometimes each cone needs to be tweaked until it looks right to you. Don't be afraid to play with the tension dial and be sure to move that dial at least a quarter to half turn as you are adjusting. Take a look at the tension guide with the three holes. There is no requirement to use all three holes - if I'm using metallic I only use one hole in order to reduce the drag on the metallic. Use whatever thread you can get your hands on and experiment. Superior is a very nice thread but there are lots of threads that work just fine on the Avante. I've used industrial sewing thread, bobbin thread, poly & rayon embroidery, and serger thread without an issue. Once you convince yourself that you won't break anything if you play with the tension knob, there is a world of thread waiting for you to try.