View Single Post
Old 09-24-2012, 11:56 AM
J Miller

Default Got a free 66-18 today

Last week my wife signed up for "Freecycle" here in IL. She was poking around looking for chairs when she saw an add for a free Singer sewing machine. Some rust, bad or missing cords, don't have the add handy, attachments, instruction manuals and needles.
OK, we emailed her. Nothing .... hmmmm
Emailed her again a couple days later when we saw her second edited add. This time she responded. Seems she has had two people contact her ahead of us. Wife said, if they don't take it call me on my cell phone.

Late Sunday she calls and said they didn't take it, it's on the front porch come and get it. Wife got her address and said we'll be there tomorrow morning. Asked her if she knew what model it was. Nope, neither her nor her husband had enough foresight to read the model # off of the manuals. All they new was that it was an old black machine from the 50s. OK, no matter.

So off we go this morning hoping that it was a model we didn't have, but knowing what ever it was it would be coming home with us.

The machine is a 66-18, with the black crinkle finish. This one make three.

It is complete. Motor, belt, controller, plug, presser foot, needle, even has the slide plate . The rust is minimal and will clean up easily. The over all condition of the machine is fair, but that will upgrade to very good after a thorough cleaning and oiling.

It came with a complete buttonholler in the green square plastic box, all cams, feed dog cover plate, and the instructions are there.
A complete box of attachments, some of them black side finish and a few needles.

The best part is the two manuals. A 66-16 and a 66-18 both in nearly pristine condition. Those two little books made the whole trip worth while. The machine and accessories just added the icing to the cake.

If this one sews as good as I believe it will I just might put it back in one of my cabinets.

Joe