Thread: Iphone5
View Single Post
Old 09-24-2012, 04:31 PM
Stitchnripper
Power Poster

Originally Posted by MCH View Post
All interesting comments about the iPhone 5. I was watching an interview last week with a researcher from Consumer Reports, re: the iPhone 5. His report was that Apple has made a few "tweaks" with this and that, but as executing truly innovative technology, as Apply usually does, the iPhone 5 pretty much misses the mark, It's screen is a bit bigger (means you can have another row of apps visible -- big Whoop!), and it's a bit lighter. But, nothing innovative or technologically significant. Note: Apple foresook the Google Maps database and went with its own proprietary mapping database...which, when reviewed by folks here in Silicon Valley, was not described in glowing terms. The mapping software is loaded with "bugs", making that portion of the system unreliable.
I have a Windows phone, the NOKIA Luminal 900; currently running Windows - Phone 7.5. The camera feature is hard to beat. I have a Nikon professional level digital SLR...and find the camera on my phone serves many of my purposes just fine. The camera has telephoto & macra capabilities and functions with a Carl Zeiss lens (world-class optics). I work with a bunch of technically sophisticated folks who have been blown away by my toy.
I especially enjoy being able to use the voice aspect of creating text messages...I don't have to type them anymore.
Consider this, when it was announced that the iPhone 5 maps were below sub-standard and there was little that is innovative in the iPhone 5, Nokia's stock rose by several points.
Full disclosure requires I tell you that I've lived in Silicon Valley for 30 years and have had it "up to here" with all the slobbering and swooning over any product that Apple puts into the market. This is first release Apple has done since Steve Jobs passed away. Along with Jobs, Apple innovation seems to have gone away, as well. Even at that, though, Apple merely polished a product and marketed it as something that caused people to stand in line overnight, just to have one. I may be from Illinois, but with proximity to Missouri, I have something of the "Show Me" perspective.
I am not disagreeing with anything you say - but - I love the idea that there are people to help me if I have a problem. and with my iMac things are very simple to coordinate, back up, etc. I have walked into the local Apple store on occasion and the "genius" was able to help me. Also, we have called the Applecare number when we were converting from PC to Mac and have always gotten wonderful customer support. So, for that I am grateful. I was happy with my Iphone 3, happier with my iPhone 4, and planning to enjoy the iPhone 5 once I get it. The pictures I take are good enough for me since I am not an expert and just want to have a memory. Like I said in the beginning, to each his own. Let us all enjoy our phones, whether flip, Windows, iPhone, or Android.