View Single Post
Old 09-24-2012, 06:20 PM
Pollytink

Unhappy Help! I'm going batty over batting!

There's a big sale on batting at CT and I want to get some. However, I am very confused about it. I'm trying to stop procrastinating and get a baby quilt finished and was going to first use a poly crib quilt batting I had. Then decided no, I'd use some W&N that i'd gotten several years ago to make twin quilts (Yeah, in my dreams!!) So I dragged it out of the closet and cut off enough for the baby quilt. I'd posted about this baby quilt a week or so ago....my friend in Italy just had a baby and I had this quilt that I'd pieced a few years ago while in a guild but never finished it. So I thought, great....that will be fine for Lila! You'll note that everything was a few years ago? I had a stretch of some surgeries and "life" and havent' done any sewing for a long time.

So after I saw the sale I pulled up a bunch of threads about batting...what's best, etc. and saw posts about pre-washing it. I'd done 2 or 3 little quilts, very simple, and never washed them--before or after being made! So the thought of washing batting freaked me out!! I may go back to the poly for this little one. The thing is, if you don't prewash it, W+N or Hobbs 80/20 will shrink, right? It says 3-5% on Hobbs....I'm not sure I WANT it to shrink so what will W/N or Hobbs look like after the quilt's made and washed? I can't see myself washing batting...I'm lucky to have gotten this far! I was going to try to get one Hobbs 80/20 and one Hobbs Poly-Down (if there are any left when I finally decide!).

Some pre-wash and some don't....some like the "puckered" look of not pre-washing.....how can I tell what it will look like?

At the rate I'm going, baby Lenora will be lucky if she gets this quilt for Christmas!! I know I just need some confidence about doing this and that finishing this little quilt will help that. I'll probably never make anything bigger than a lap quilt so I can cut the large batts up for smaller things. Help! and Thanks!