View Single Post
Old 09-25-2012, 03:31 AM
Edie

Originally Posted by Krystyna View Post
Remember reading about the deep freeze that set in between 1793-1830? Well, it looks like we might be in for another one! Time to break out the wool batting! Story here
Speaking of deep freeze, my Mom (gonna be 96 in October) gave me the federbett (feather bed) that my grandmother made many, many years ago. It has been in an airtight freezer (not plugged in) for the past, at least, 50 years. It was made to fit on top of a double bed and talk about keeping warm for the winter, this is just perfect. We sleep with down blankets AND a homemade quilt (by moi) on top and I am thinking this would be super cozy. Also, and most important, my husband suffers from Peripheral Neuropathy, both legs and feet. He feels cold all the time, even though to me they feel nice and warm....not to him. 95 degrees outside and his feet and legs are cold to him. This was caused by a chemo cocktail called Vincristine from when he had Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma. So I am thinking, how good are these feathers, should I hang it outside and let it flop in a good Minnesota breeze, should I take it to a drycleaner and let him clean it. I know I am going to make a duvet for it, maybe I will make some 9-patch blocks and use that for a duvet. I am just curious about what condition it is going to be in when I get it. Also, I have heard some places will retick pillows, but will not touch a federbett or a down comforter. One guy said it had something to do with the machine stitching the "boxes" with the sewing machine they use (which is probably like my Singer) and not a commercial machine. Someone also told me that feathers turn into powder after some years. I never heard that and I am not sure if he thought I was a dummy or something that he could sell me a new federbett. They are very very expensive - for the real thing! And Grandma's is the real thing. It is covered with ticking - no duvet on it. I remember it being the traditional blue and off white striped ticking.

So, anyone who could give me some ideas on this. I have washed our down comforters and they turned out beautifully, but these are not all down. They are feathers too. Big difference there. I am assuming they are goose feathers. My grandmother saved feathers also for future pillows, down comforters and the federbett.

Thanks in advance and have a good day. Have to mow the lawn today, pick up leaves, cut back lilies, and pull the impatiens. The mums are coming into full bloom now. I got my indoor plants in and have to start fall cleaning, get the windows washed and secure the house for the winter. Am in the throes of getting a garage sale going with my sister. We are getting rid of some of our stuff, her stuff and Mom's stuff. Which is how this whole federbett thing came up. Mom called and asked if I wanted them. Ohhhhh, Yesssss!!! Edie