View Single Post
Old 09-25-2012, 04:17 AM
nycquilter

In March 2009, my yellow lab, Maddy, had emergency surgery because a tumor ruptured and disseminated undifferentiated sarcoma cells throughout her abdomen and chest cavity. She was given a prognosis of 30-60 days without treatment (radiation and chemo for about $30,000) and 60-90 days with treatment. We brought her home and decided to treat it alternatively. The first thing we did was to change her diet. We switched to a natural food without additives of any kind. Then we reduced the kibble to 50% and supplemented with people food. Usually, I gave her raw beef, cooked chicken, or cooked pork. The choice varied according to my mood and what looked best to me that week in the store. I also added about 1/4 cup of nutritional yeast and some freshly ground flax seeds. I used various vegetables as she eats most any veggie. I also used herbal medicine for the cancer. Now, more than 3-1/2 years later, she is in fabulous health. She is 12 and looks like a dog half her age. She runs, plays and swims any chance she gets.

your dog may prefer cooked vegetables, like sweet potatoes. Also, she may like cooked carrots. I would try a variety of vegetables, cooked if that's how she'll eat them. Also, you can add fruits. My dogs love apples and bananas and any other naturally sweet fruit. Maddy definitely has a sweet tooth; she won't eat green peppers but loves red peppers, for example. My Jackson will eat anything that is not nailed down (and if it's nailed down, he'll eat around the nail). You can also feed her fried pork rinds for treats. As I learned when I followed the Atkins diet, they are pure protein and no carbs. My two will do anything for them--

there are some good books about this topic. One of my favorites is by Juliette de Bairacli Levy. She is so brilliant and worth reading.

Good luck. If I can help further, let me know--send me a PM.

Laurie