View Single Post
Old 09-25-2012, 06:22 AM
bearisgray
Power Poster

These comments only apply to 'warm and natural' 'cotton' batting:

I had to wash one warm and natural batting twice before I could use it - held up very well - but I kept the agitation to a minimum

Follow the package directions - In most cases, the manufacturer does know what it's talking about.

If you prefer a flatter look, wash it before using it (assuming you washed the rest of the fabrics before assembling them)

If you did not wash the other fabrics, just assemble the layers and go from there - there will be some shrinkage -

If it's 5 percent, if you had a quilt that started out being 45 x 60, (2700 square inches) - you would lose about 135 square inches. (I don't know which way you would lose them)

It the shrinkage is 3 percent, and you had a quilt that started out being 45 x 60, (2700 square inches) - you would lose about 111 square inches.

If you had a 10 x 10 square - 100 square inches - 5 percent shrinkage would leave you with 95 square inches.
If you had a 10 x 10 square - 100 square inches - 3 percent shrinkage would leave you with 97 square inches.

Some people like the puckered look that happens when it shrinks. Some don't seem to be aware of the change in size. Whatever crinkles your cookies (or your fabric)!

Last edited by bearisgray; 09-25-2012 at 06:24 AM.