View Single Post
Old 09-25-2012, 06:25 AM
Gerbie

So sorry to hear this. I am sorry to say I would not offer much hope for your friend of ever removing the dye that bled.
Ask me how I know, I made a double wedding ring quilt for my daughter in 2005, queen size, cream background with different shades of green and mauve - I definitely prewashed all of the fabric. Gave it to her for Christmas and wanted to show it at a fair the next fall, she had never used it until just before I wanted to show it, and had the quilt on her bed - she has indoor cats and I thought well I need to wash this before entering it BIG mistake. I used -COLD water, and woollite - but some of the greens faded in different spots all over the quilt, mostly on the cream area, which is the background color of the quilt. Did not dry it in the dryer. I have since washed it several times now each time using a color catcher. I have used everything on this quilt to try and get the excess dye out nothing so far has helped - color catchers, oxi, synthrol alcohol, even tried Mr. clean Magic erasers on the spots. The quilt has never been in the dryer. I spent a year working on this quilt, and working outside the home at the same time so a long process. I wanted to scream and cry at the same time.
If your friend finds something that works, please p.m. me and let me know. I truly wish her luck. Now I not only always prewash all of my fabric, but use retayne in the first wash and color catchers in every other wash. I am a great bliever in prewash.