View Single Post
Old 09-25-2012, 06:34 AM
oleganny

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
At my house it's location, location, location. My sewing scissors are in my quilting room or on a shelf by the longarm. All other scissors are in the desk or a kitchen drawer, or sometimes just lying around. DH probably can't tell one pair from another, but he knows by location which ones he can use. And if scissors are so dull or bent that they're no longer worth using, they go to the trash.
I guess I have a thing for all sharp objects - lol - I have a box about 6"x15"x8"deep for my good scissors & it is so full I couldn't get another pair in it. I also have a couple of flannel knife rolls for my good knives, & another box almost as big as the scissor box for the multiple rotary cutters. Everyone knows that they do not touch anything in the boxes without permission. My DD uses the knives, but she knows to immediately wash, dry & return to the roll. When my kids were little I told them that anything in the cabinets near my sewing machine was off limits, since they were my tools. My DSIL used my DDs good scissors "once" to cut heavy cardboard - was he ever in trouble & had to replace them. I think the secret to "no touch" is for everyone to learn to respect the property of others. My DH & I were married almost 40 years & in that whole time he never opened my purse & I never opened his wallet. It was one of the hardest things I had to do when he passed was to go into his wallet, & I put it off for more than 2 years.

hugs
Shirley in Indiana