View Single Post
Old 09-25-2012, 08:48 AM
majormom

Originally Posted by Raggiemom View Post
I don't ever prewash any of my fabrics prior to using them. So far, I've never had a problem. However, if I think any of the colors might run, I toss in a couple Color Catchers.
This is what I do also. Although I have been known to toss in more than 2 Color Catchers! I also tell people to whom the quilt is going to wash their quilt (if it is bed size) in a commercial front load washer in cold water with 2 or 3 color catchers included. The commercial front loader is huge, so the quilt has plenty of space to tumble and the stitching will not be stressed as it would be in a smaller machine or in a top loader that pulls the quilt back and forth in a small space. We all work too hard to make beautiful quilt stitching on our quilts, so who wants to see all those beautiful stitches broken etc! Which is another issue, I realize!! I've always been confused with the Synthrapol, Retayne issues and when and how to use them. One person says one thing, another says another. I'm just happy with the Color Catchers!
Does anyone think this problem is the fault of the fabric manufacturers - they should all make fabrics color-fast. It is possible, for sure. Of course when trying to make the biggest profit possible, it's a great temptation to skip steps. Sigh.